WHAT TO DO near Port Douglas
We usually plan to do lots, but once we settle it's so nice here we mostly just hang out.
But over the years we can recommend
- swim the beach out the front, swim between the nets at the end of 4 Mile if its in the monsoon season or swim from the park off the point if beach is windy
- Swim in Mossman River all year, It's quite special. Also drive across the river and turn lett to Silky oaks restaurant and swim at the water hole adjacent the cane train bridge.
- walk the beach to the mirage resort or further to PD village
- walk the beach south at low tide towards the Mowbray river
- walk west to Choo Choos cafe for breakfast or lunch
- play golf at Mirage or Palmer reef in carts
- Sunday markets is a must in the village or Saturday at Mossman
- Walking track around 'The Point to 4 mile lookout'
- Cycle - the beach, the shops, Mowbray valley
- Short drive to Mowbray Valley ( 15 minutes ) & The Bump Track ( original & only land access in to Port ) the walk is a hill climb ( 2.5 hours return )
- Drive Mowbray valley to Spring Creek. ( 15 minutes ) Then walk across the river into wild country. Follow the river about 2k to the water fall
- Drive to Thala Lodge ( 20 minutes on Cook Highway ) Park, dine if you wish, walk down to a rugged beautiful beach
- There are numerous other places to find & explore with Out tourists within a 20 minute drive. Be adventursome.
OUT OF PORT DOUGLAS ( needs a car or coach tour )
- Mossman. Township ( last town tor over 80Ckm ) Mossman River for walking & fantastic swimming
- Silky Oaks Lodge on the Mossman River
- Road before Mossman turn left to Julatten and head to Atherton tablelands & Cooktown to the north.
- Daintree Village or turn right to the Daintree terry and Onto Cape Tribulation in the Daintree ( a great day ) where two UNESCO World heritage environments meet. Foods are available.
- There are numerous other river, coastal & mountain Options that could take you months to explore. Cooktown is a 2 day trip. The tip ahoy Cape York is 4-5 days at least. It's a big country.
PD Local WALKS
FROM OUR HOUSE
- 4 MILE BEACH NORTH WALK Call In at the Mirage resort for a beer or wine or a rneal (15 minutes) Walk along beach to PD Village is about 1/2 hour and get a taxi home if you wish
- 4 MILE BEACH SOUTH WALK is interesting at low tide as you get around the BEACH corner where the reef becomes exposed with wide tidal movement & tidal river Inlets. No tourists.
- SHOPPING • 4 MILE SHOPS . 15 minutes walk south along Solander Blvd, through the park follow the forest. over the inlet to Barrier St Turn right to OTZ deli & cafe fast food, bottle shop
- Or same walk but turn left to the BEACH SHACK restaurant
- CHOO CHOO's cafe on the train line. Walk along Seabrook Avenue opposite, across the main road through the park to the railway station on the lake & Mirage Go!f course. Breakfast and lunch etc. We get through the hole In the fence & walk around the golf course. Beware of golfers. See the pontoon In the tidal inlet which receives river boats whose guests can access the train back to the Marina.
- MIRAGE GOLF CLUB North along Solander Blvd. Turn left onto a track. cross main road, call in at Mirage Golf club cafe. Leave here and walk alongside the tennis courts. This is a rough road through the mangroves tor about a kilometer, with the winding river inlet on the left side. Can walk or drive down to the inlet through the mangroves
- 4 MILE SHOPPING VILLAGE Walk south along Solander Blvd through the Park. Stay parallel to the sea, through the tidal Inlet and over the bridge to Barrier street The Beach Shack restaurant is on your left or turn right and walk up the 4 miie shops. Across the PD road is Niramaya. A beautiful Indonesian style environment tor dnnks or eating.
- MOWBRAY VALLEY (15 minute drive)
- MOSSMAN (20 minute drive)
- DAINTREE (20 minutes drive atter river crossing)
AND THERE IS MUCH MORE
Follow the links below
Web links to local area activity:
Back Country Bliss Adventures - Daintree adventure tours, river drift snorkelling tours, walking and hiking tours.
Adventures Port Douglas - 4WD outback tours, motor bike tours, kayaking, snorkelling, Dive, Cruise, Kite Surf, Parasail, Hot air balloon, White water raft, Cultural Tours, and so much more.
Vertical Adventures Port Douglas - Helicopter tours, mountain bike adventures, kayaking, great barrier reef
Skyrail Rainforest Cableway - ride the cableway above the rainforest canopy, descend to the forest floor for a walking tour, combine the cableway with Kuranda Scenic Railway to create an unforgettable day tour.
Tourism Port Douglas - Things to do, places to eat, shopping experiences, places to stay.
Daintree Discovery Centre - Experience the rainforest, go on skywalks in the canopy, history and Indigenous Culture of this ancient environment, prehistoric history and animated dinosaurs.
Jungle Surfing Canopy Tours & Night Walks - Tour the Daintree on zip lines or go on a torchlight adventure to see the rare tropical wildlife that comes out at night.